In January 1939 President Manuel L. Quezon Gen. Paulino Torres Santos to new position in Mindanao Resettlement Project as their action Man in the Southern Philippines and ordered the Administrator of the NDC (National Development Company) to release TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND PESOS (Php 200,000.00) as advanced loan to the Gen. Manager Staff and begun recruiting the Pioneer Settler (Agricultural and Trade).
Consequently on February 11,1939, Pres. Manuel L. Quezon issued Proclamation No.383 & 384 reserving Koronadal and Compostela Monkayo in Davao for Settlement Projects.
On February 27, 1939, the first batch of settlers arrived in Dadiangas Sarangani Bay and Cotabato. The shoreline has a few built huts. A few natives handful of Christians and stretching inland, vast Dadiangas tree, buri and cogon lands to the foot of brooding hills, covered by natural vegetation’s of residents of Dadiangas headed by Don Francisco Natividad and his family who has migrated to this spot for so many years and have succeeded in his agriculture an economic ventures. The provincial governor and the Municipal Mayor of Glan was Zarif Zainol Abedin who resides in Amao , lower Buluan which is part of Buayan in Municipal, District of Glan. The Mayor have assisted NLSA General Manager General Paulino Torres Santos Sr. in the project built.
The first settlement was established in Alagon known as ” LAGAO”. The administration building becomes the distribution center of the whole Koronadal project. At that time Lagao was known as the Municipal District of Buayan. It was under the Deputy Governor who assumed jurisdiction over the Municipal District of Glan In October 1, 1940, the Municipal District of Buayan became an independent Municipal District, its jurisdiction was extended to Tupi and Polomolok. It was Datu Sharrif Zainal Abedin who was appointed district Municipal Mayor. He was an Arabian Mestizo and married to the former Amisak Muksin Abedin,daughter of Datu Buaya with an Arabian and Tribal bloodline. The temporary seat of government was in the Muksin Abedin coconut plantation in Amao, Buayan now lower Baluan. The whole Koronadal settlement is now the South Cotabato Province.
In 1943, after Gen. Paulino Santos protested the torture made by the Japanese Army under the command of Captain Oishi; cotton production was introduced in Lagao, Buayan. Then became the construction and renovation of the 100 hectares of Buayan Airfield and other petrifaction.
September 2, 1945, at 9:04 in the morning; World War II begun on the decks of battleship Missouri in Tokyo Bay in Southern Philippines; the settlement projects were devastated and the people were left destitute and homeless. The missionaries of different sector took charge of their ministerial works, churches and schools were built and people gradually built home from ruins to start new life. From then people grew on number from different parts of the country and hope better. The Muslim brothers who fought side by side with the Christian counterparts welcome in harmony the southern settlers.
The Bario Buayan after World War II was predominantly occupied by some B”laans and Maguindanaoan’s (our Muslim Brothers). The elder people originally got the name Buayan because they fear the crocodile infested Buayan River which extends up to Malandag, Malungon and Sarangani. That once, any person who tries to go into the water, the women will shout “Hoy may Buaya dyan” and so Buayan become the name.
Don Francisco Natividad who settled ahead of Gen. Santos mission for settlement for first, second and third batchers of settlers from Visayas and Luzon have occupied a thousand hectares leasehold in the Western side Buayan airfield for coconut and cattle ranch. It was totally ruined and devastated during the 2nd World War. In 1945, people from different evacuation areas in the South gradually settled in the area.
Eventually, after President Manuel Acuña Roxas, more people were coming in and upon the restoration of the National Government to normal. Mayor Ireneo S. Santiago was appointed First Mayor of the Municipality of Buayan with head office at Dadiangas Municipal Building and was re-elected once. Barrio Buayan have First Lieutenant in the person of Madtud Buday in 1950 and was replaced by Barrio Lieutenant Buaya Sandigan in 1954-1958 and again was succeeded by Bario Captain H. Bayan Sr. 1959-1971 three(3) terms. It was at these year were Barrio Captain Bayan Sr. worked out for the Scheme of Subdivision of the Buayan Townsite Subdivision duly to approved by the Governor of the Empire Province of Datu Udtog Matalam at the premise there appear to have a public disorder in the whole nation after the Barangay Election in January 1972. Hermogenes C. Bayan, Jr. was elected Barangay captain on September 21,1972. Martial Law was declared (PD 1081). In 1980, the Barangay under the administration of Hermogenes C. Bayan Jr. reopened the distribution of homelots of their own, based on the amended scheme of the City of General Santos. The City created during the time of President Ferdinad E. Marcos on July 8, 1968 per R.A. 5412 sponsored by Congressman James L. Chiongbian , in which Hon. Antonio Acharon was first City Mayor.
In 1950, the Barrio of Buayan extends to now Barangay Baluan and Barangay Ligaya which are parts of the coconut and cattle ranch based area of Don Francisco Natividad which was destroyed by the war including the Eastern side of Buayan River. The cattle ranch of Matute which was later managed by the Ledesma now the Alcantara; and the presently part of Barangay Maribulan upon the creation of the Municipality of Alabel which was founded by Alaba and Beldad, now in the Province of Sarangani. In early 50’s the people of Buayan before the creation of Barangay Baluan and Barangay Ligaya (by way of Baluan Settling Association’s Petition ) have created Buayan Primary School made of locals resources through the initiative of Barrio Leadres. The grade pupils occupied only four classrooms. It was headed by Principal Datu Acad Dalid who was assigned by the Provincial Governor of the Empire Province of Cotabato. It is now known as the Datu Acad Dalid Elementary School by way of an assembly Resolution called for by Barangay Captain Hermogenes C. Bayan Jr. during the time of the late City Mayor Antonio Acharon.
It appears that there was a fast inflock of people residing in the Buayan Townsite in someone nearby private subdivision, the Barangay Council of Buayan initiated the construction of the first three room school building in the school site now known as the Hermogenes C. Bayan Elementary School in Buayan Townsite Subdivision.
After the EDSA Revolution in 1986, the Government under the administrative of President Corazon C. Aquino called for a Collegial Election of the Barangays in April 1988 for the six years term until 1994, the Local Government Code became a law giving full autonomy for the LGU’s of the Barangay throughout country have been sufficient compared to prior years since after the War and have rendered more on basic services for its constituents.
Since then, the barangay became Progressive in the terms of population, before and after the approval of the Barangay Buayan Townsite Subdivision.
Punong Barangay: Melencia G. Ortiz
- Beltran J. Otañes
- Sabas C. Sapar, Jr.
- Marieta V. Mission
- Mercedes M. Mallorca
- Arthuro T. Mascardo, Jr.
- Rey B. Degayo, Jr.
- Babiolo P. Nacua
- Total Land Area (Assessed) – 4,836,712.2 Sq. M
- Total Population – 10,183
- Total Household – 2,007
- Total Families – 2,375
- Datu Acad Dalid Elementary School
- Hermogenes C. Bayan Sr. Elementary School
- Buayan National High School
- Day Care Centers (4)
- Shekinah Bible School College
- Czar’s Montessori Elementary School
- Madrasa School (4)
- Tactical Operation Squadron, PAF
- 12 Fab Fire Artillery Battalon, PA
- Ligt Armor Batallon, PA
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Barangay health center
- Barangay Gymnasium
- Barangay Hall Building
- Multi –Purpose Buildings
MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION
- Jeepney, Tricycles, Single motor or Habal-Habal, Private Vehicles, Bicycles
- Agriculture: Ricefields/Saltbeds
- Fishing Industry: Fish Cages; Fishponds; Fish pens; and small scale fishing
- Employment: Government and Non-Government Employess